Tuesday 24 December 2013

THE PERILS OF DISCOUNT VOUCHERS


I’m a girl who just loves a bargain, giving me all the more for life’s little luxuries.
Hence it was understandable that I felt a considerable degree of irritation, when the hotel manager, rather aggressively I thought, waved the ‘Come Dine With Us’ voucher purchased from my local newspaper, in my face and said ‘ It does say DINE you know, and I will allow it this time, but not again. You should only be using this in our restaurant, in the evening.’
I minded not, as I’d got the two glasses of mid afternoon champagne I’d ordered, having checked beforehand mind you, with the poor underpaid poorly trained Polish waitress that it was OK to use said voucher.
When I had the temerity to point out that I had previously used another voucher in the same bar with no problem, the manager responded with ’then that’s someone else who will be in trouble.’ I sincerely trust not, or there will be a fuss, I promise you.
Another venue, another voucher, on the same day, for lunch. I admit I had not booked in advance, as instructed, but enquired on entering the establishment that seems to pride itself on its snooty, snobbish appeal, judging by the behaviour of the receptionists on duty, who declined my voucher, and began to argue over terms and conditions in relation to dining in the evening.
On both occasions I was with a friend who was mightily embarrassed, but I stood my ground, and in both cases the vouchers were eventually accepted, but it left a bad taste in my mouth.
My point is this; yes, in both cases there were terms and conditions, but these were not apparent at the time of purchase; in both cases neither establishment was exactly full to the brim with rabid customers begging to hand over their hard earned money for a bite to eat; in both cases there was little consideration for the customer, for what would be considered good customer service.
The response I might have been looking for is something along the lines of ‘I’m so sorry madam, but the requirement is for dinner to be taken in our restaurant in the evening. However, as we are not busy at the moment, of course we will accept the voucher, and hope you enjoy the experience sufficiently to return again. Let me show you to a table.’
As a professional customer standards inspector for the hospitality industry, I also like to eat out, a lot, in my free time, albeit on a budget. When out and about I tend not to dress for the occasion, looking liking a typical grey haired middle aged woman. On both occasions I would have bet the price of my meal on the fact that had I been a man in a business suit I would not have been treated in the same way.
Incidentally, the last time I spent £500 on a meal for two, I was treated with respect, and not because of the size of the bill, but because I was a valued customer, and was therefore willing to push the boat out for a mind blowing experience worth every penny.
What both these establishments need to remember is that when they themselves sign up for such schemes, including the likes of Groupon, if they were doing as well as they’d like us to think they are, they wouldn’t need to be going down the discount route.
Pleasingly both the champagne and the food were as expected, but please don’t mess with me, I’m a customer paying your wages, and I don’t like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment