Tuesday 24 December 2013

FOLLOWING THE DREAM - X FACTOR


Many of us have aspirations, some of which are achievable, some of which seem to be pie in the sky. I am mindful of this as I look forward to attending the South Somerset District Council's Gold Star Awards at the end of this month. Each and every one of us, every day, has the opportunity to help make someone's else's dream come true, whether it's receiving local recognition for a deed well done, or international acclaim. I've never been much of a television watcher, only acquiring one last year, when during a bout of ill health I was unable to do anything else; being totally bed ridden left few options to keep myself occupied. One year on, I am fairly selective about what I watch, usually restricting myself to quiz or cookery programmes. Except that recently, and although I am ashamed to admit it, I have been watching X Factor, despite being scornful of this kind of TV. As I watch the contestants, one after another, putting themselves in the spotlight, confirming Andy Warhol's assertion that 'In the future, everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes'. I often find myself in tears. For all of them, this is their dream, their one opportunity, as they see it, to make something of themselves, to change their lives. Whilst we can all argue whether these dreams are appropriate, surely it must be better to have a dream, with the chance to live it, than to go through life with no aspirations at all. Whilst I cannot condone the manipulation of contestants who have clearly been put forward to be humiliated for the sake of higher TV ratings, I find myself compelled to watch those that are singing their little hearts out, and the look of sheer relief and joy as they find they are through to the next round. I'm rooting for them all the way and cheering out loud when they succeed. Many of us will remember Susan Boyle's appearance in Britain's Got Talent, the sniggering from the audience, and then the total silence as she began to sing. There are of course arguments that she was totally unprepared for what followed, but no-one made her, or any of the others, enter. Many household names that we associate with wealth and fame started out in life at a disadvantage; Daniel Craig, Charlie Chaplin, Billy Connolly, Rod Stewart, Kate Winslet and Oprah Winfrey come to mind. Every time we give someone else a leg up, this can only help to make all of ours lives richer.

No comments:

Post a Comment